Facts About Liposuction Compared to a "Tummy Tuck"
Choosing between liposuction and a tummy tuck can be a difficult decision. Depending on who you speak to, there are many differing opinions on the matter. As with any procedure, there are pros and cons that must be considered. Below are a few facts regarding liposuction and tummy tuck to help you make the decision that is right for you.
Liposuction Only - No Tummy Tuck
Liposuction Compared To Tummy Tuck
- Removes large volumes of fat
- Skin retracts to about the same tightness as before liposuction, but with decreased volume.
- Procedure can be done under local anesthetic while you are awake.
- Liposuction can be done in a comfortable office setting, vs. hospital
- Clothes fit better
- Minimal downtime
- Minimal scarring
- Easy recovery
- Affordable choice
- Excess skin is removed
- Some stretch marks are removed with skin
- Requires general anesthesia
- Higher risk of complications
- Requires hospital stay
- Large scar from hip to hip
- Difficult recovery and long downtime
- Minimal fat is removed
- Abnormal looking belly button with scar around this area
- Requires drains left in wound
- Very painful
- “Dog ear deformity” is a pouching out of the skin around the hips that is very common with tummy tuck.
- Very expensive
After A Tummy Tuck Surgery - Large Hip-to-Hip Scar and Surgical Drains
At MyShape Lipo, many of our patients are deciding between liposuction and tummy tuck. We get a lot of patients that have already had tummy tuck and are not happy with the amount of fat that was left behind. Although many plastic surgeons claim to do liposuction with a tummy tuck, it’s not recommended to do extensive liposuction as it may decrease the blood supply and healing potential of the large wound on the abdomen.
With liposuction, we are able to remove large volumes of fat from the abdominal area. This will significantly reduce your waist size and allow you to fit better into your clothes. The procedure can safely be done while you are awake in our comfortable office setting and you will walk out of our office. If you choose to have your skin cut away with a tummy tuck, the results will be much better since your fat has already been removed. Although most of our patients choose not to have a tummy tuck after liposuction because they are happy with the results of liposuction. Since liposuction is done in an office, and doesn’t require general anesthesia, the cost is significantly less than a tummy tuck. If you have more questions, our staff is happy to assist.
Disclaimer: Individual results may vary, please consult with specialist before making important medical decisions, this website does not guarantee the accuracy, timeliness or completeness of such content and materials. Results are dependent on the individuals own unique bodily limitations. A consultation is recommended in order to provide individual expectations.